Batandra Brahmans – ‘The Better Beef Builders’ - was established by Barry and Bev Hannam at Thangool in Central Queensland and registered with Australian Brahman Breeders Assn as Stud No 1419 on 21st January 1977. The Thangool property was sold in January 1979 and the Batandra stud was moved to the Castle Creek area at Theodore. Ten years later, in February 1989, the Batandra cattle moved north to the Kunwarara area, 78 klms north of Rockhampton and 25klms south of Marlborough, on the Bruce Highway heading to Mackay. On 30th November 2007 this property was sold to Peter and Sue Gray who currently run The Rivers Brahman Stud. Three hundred head of registered breeders and six stud sires were purchased by Peter and Sue. We retained our donor and embryo progeny - 40 head of grey females and 25 head of red breeders. Our stud cattle are now located at Batandra Park, situated at 455 Hanschen’s Road Milman, approximately 40 klms north of Rockhampton Queensland
The grey stud was initially based on Allawah and other quality females joined to Waverley and Cherokee sires. Our first sale bulls sold at auction at Gracemere in the Rockhampton Brahman Week Sale in October 1979. The red stud was established in 1982 with a base of Burnside, Avondale and Cherokee bloodlines. We focus on producing grass raised cattle that will perform in all conditions.
Bred on Central Queensland’s coastal country, Batandra Brahmans are recognised as fertile functional easy care cattle – bred and raised on the coastal speargrass country - ‘to perform in the harsh conditions and to excel in the soft country’.
Visitors are always welcome to inspect our "Batandra Brahmans".